The clover shaped medal was cut out of a gold plate with a jeweller's saw. The ZAR Veldpond mark was struck in the middle on the obverse side. On the reverse side, the recipient's name and the words Staats Munt te Velde 1902 were engraved. The
decorations around the medals were most likely also done at Pilgrim's Rest, because they look alike.
Who the person is that was responsible for making the medals, is a question that has not been answered yet. Two possibilities present themselves in this regard. The one is that the Swiss, Jules Perrin did it. He was an essayer and head of the Mint in Pretoria until the British closed it down, and after the war he opened a jeweller's business in Schoeman Street, Pretoria.94 His whereabouts during the war are not clear. After the war he and the German born pro-Boer, AH Hanneman95 who was the owner of a hotel and shop at Komatipoort, took the oath of allegiance on 30 June 1902 at the office of the British Consul General in Lourenço Marques which indicates that he could have been in the vicinity of Pilgrim's Rest.96 No trace can be found that he had been in Pilgrim's Rest during the war and his name is not mentioned by anyone involved with the Veldpond and the medals. According to Ernest Meyer, the bookkeeper of the ZAR Mint in Pretoria, Perrin was not positive supportive of the Boer cause, which makes him an unlikely candidate for being involved in the activities of the Field Mint.97 The other possibility is that Michael Cooney, an essayer with goldsmith knowledge, made the medals.